Purpose: To apply a penetrating sealer to all six sides of a natural stone or tile
Aqua Mix® Sealer suitable for Pre Sealing on all six sides: Aqua Mix® ProBlock – Pre Sealer
Equipment: Plastic tray (flat bottom), Rubber squeegee, white (or colour-fast non-staining) absorbent towels or cloth, sponge or paint pad.
Coverage: Depending on selected sealer and surface being applied to, see product pages for more info.
The Stone must be dry prior to applying sealer – the following document explains in detail the definition of the term “dry” as it relates to sealer application. READ MORE
- Ensure material to be sealed is clean and dry.
- Aqua Mix® ProBlock – Pre Sealer is a single part product and should not be diluted.
- Fill flat bottom plastic dipping tray with sealer (tray should be large enough to comfortably fit the stone/tile to be sealed with at least 2cm clearance between stone/tile and sides of tray). Tray should be filled with sealer to a level that allows the stone/tile to be fully submersed.
- Dip stone/tile in sealer and allow it to dwell for 10-15 seconds. For extremely dense materials, such as some granite, dwell time may need to be increased to ensure proper penetration of sealer.
- Remove stone from tray and clean excess sealer off the surface using a rubber squeegee. Dry buff any excess sealer that is still on the surface after 5 minutes as excess sealer should not be allowed to dry on the surface.
- Conduct a test to determine if the surface is completely sealed after 8 hours by applying water droplets on the surface. If water is absorbed or there is a damp patch visible immediately after removing water droplets an additional application of sealer will be required.
- Aqua Mix® ProBlock – Pre Sealer starts curing in 48 hours and 72 hours for maximum performance. Therefore stone/tile should NOT be installed for a minimum of 48 hours. If stone/tile is to be stacked prior to installation pieces should be allowed to air dry for a minimum of 4 hours prior to stacking. All sealed stone should be kept dry for 24 hours prior to being exposed to water with the stacked stone being protected from the weather and in an area that has good air movement to facilitate cure.
- For some textured stone/tile surfaces dipping alone may not guarantee complete sealer penetration. In these cases after dipping and prior to removing sealer excess, work the excess surface sealer into the surface with a sponge or paint pad (not brush) to ensure complete coverage.
- Conduct a test of the application method prior to commencement of sealing to ensure sealer is performing as expected.
- All times for cure and drying in the above statement are based on a temperature of 20 0 C and 70%RH. If temperatures are lower or RH higher longer times may be required. Contact Aqua Mix for assistance if required.
Cleaning of equipment
Clean applicator tools immediately with water after each use.
This recommendation is intended as a guideline for the application of a sealer. The actual sealing requirements may vary depending on type of tile and sealer selected.
READ PRODUCT DIRECTIONS THOROUGHLY PRIOR TO USE. ALWAYS TEST FIRST. KEEP SURFACE CLEAN AND DRY TO REDUCE POSSIBILITY OF SLIP-FALL ACCIDENTS.